The Ministry of Defence confirmed last month that an investigation is underway concerning photographs of eight soldiers standing next to a flag of the anti-Islam English Defence League (EDL) at a homecoming parade for the Duke of Lancaster Regiment.
One of the photographs shows soldiers from regiment, which recruits in Cumbria, posing next to the flag of the EDL at a homecoming parade for the regiment in Blackburn last year. Eight soldiers are seen standing next to the flag, bearing the words: “EDL supports Duke of Lancaster Regiment.” Another more controversial photograph shows a uniformed solider, allegedly in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, his face hidden by a black scarf as he brandishes a pistol and stands in front of the EDL flag.
A spokesman for the MoD told The Muslim News: “Individuals are free to join political parties but they’re not permitted to take an active role in political campaigning and must abide by our values and standards in all they do. Instances of unacceptable behaviour in the armed forces are investigated, and appropriate action taken up to and including dismissal.
“An investigation is already underway into allegations that individuals have breached army regulations through their involvement with the EDL.”
Former Chair on the Commons Counter Terrorism Sub-committee, Patrick Mercer, urged servicemen to steer clear of the EDL. He said the photographs could be used as propaganda by extremists in Afghanistan. “That could only damage our cause,” he said.
Muslim News
Thanks to the many people who sent this in
Showing posts with label Ministry of Defence. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Ministry of Defence. Show all posts
June 25, 2011
MoD investigates EDL soldiers
Posted by
Antifascist
0
Comment (s)
January 28, 2010
Stetchford soldier in "Nazi" picture storm admits being in BNP
Posted by
Antifascist
7
Comment (s)
A runaway Birmingham soldier condemned as a “Nazi” broke his silence to insist he would give himself up within days
BNP member Anthony Phipps, aged 21 and from Stechford, went on the run after being accused of having a tattoo in honour of the Third Reich and of making Sieg Heil-style salutes in internet pictures. Despite criticism of his political views, Phipps insisted: “I’m not a racist or a Nazi.”
Speaking as he laid low in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, the Iraq veteran added: “I do follow the BNP, that I don’t deny. But I didn’t join it to be racist. I can’t go back to the Army because I feel threatened.”
Phipps, a member of 3 Mercian Regiment (Staffs), said he fled his barracks in Fallingbostel, Germany, last weekend after a Sunday newspaper revealed pictures of his “Nazi tattoo”, which was originally posted on social networking website Facebook. He was also being hunted by Military Police officers and the Ministry of Defence urged him to give himself up. Phipps said he would hand himself over to the authorities within days. But he claimed the coverage he had received had made it “impossible” to return to his military duties.
“They’ve put me at risk and my family,” he said.
Phipps’s sister Andrea, a 24-year-old mum-of-two, said the picture of him appearing to make Nazi salutes was taken out of context.
She said: “He’s far from a Nazi. The photo was taken at his grandma’s funeral. They were pointing to a picture of his grandma. So what if he is a member of the BNP? He has every right to express his views. He’s a soldier fighting for his country and people are stabbing him in the back. It’s not fair.”
But Hall Green Labour MP Steve McCabe said: “Membership of the BNP is inconsistent with the values of the British Armed Forces. Army personnel are supposed to uphold the values of the Crown and the BNP’s views conflict with those.”
An MoD spokesman said Army personnel were allowed to join political parties as long as their membership did not “conflict with core values and standards”. The spokesman added: “Members of the Armed Forces are entitled to their beliefs provided their practice does not conflict with the Services’ core values and standards. Soldiers who are AWOL are urged to contact their units and to make arrangements to return to military service of their own accord.
“Advice is available from the Services Confidential Support Line – 0800 731 4880. Safeguards have been put in place to ensure those arrested are treated in a sensitive manner. There are many reasons why service personnel go absent and all absentees are afforded Army welfare and duty of care provisions upon return.”
Birmingham Mail
BNP member Anthony Phipps, aged 21 and from Stechford, went on the run after being accused of having a tattoo in honour of the Third Reich and of making Sieg Heil-style salutes in internet pictures. Despite criticism of his political views, Phipps insisted: “I’m not a racist or a Nazi.”
Speaking as he laid low in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, the Iraq veteran added: “I do follow the BNP, that I don’t deny. But I didn’t join it to be racist. I can’t go back to the Army because I feel threatened.”
Phipps, a member of 3 Mercian Regiment (Staffs), said he fled his barracks in Fallingbostel, Germany, last weekend after a Sunday newspaper revealed pictures of his “Nazi tattoo”, which was originally posted on social networking website Facebook. He was also being hunted by Military Police officers and the Ministry of Defence urged him to give himself up. Phipps said he would hand himself over to the authorities within days. But he claimed the coverage he had received had made it “impossible” to return to his military duties.
“They’ve put me at risk and my family,” he said.
Phipps’s sister Andrea, a 24-year-old mum-of-two, said the picture of him appearing to make Nazi salutes was taken out of context.
She said: “He’s far from a Nazi. The photo was taken at his grandma’s funeral. They were pointing to a picture of his grandma. So what if he is a member of the BNP? He has every right to express his views. He’s a soldier fighting for his country and people are stabbing him in the back. It’s not fair.”
But Hall Green Labour MP Steve McCabe said: “Membership of the BNP is inconsistent with the values of the British Armed Forces. Army personnel are supposed to uphold the values of the Crown and the BNP’s views conflict with those.”
An MoD spokesman said Army personnel were allowed to join political parties as long as their membership did not “conflict with core values and standards”. The spokesman added: “Members of the Armed Forces are entitled to their beliefs provided their practice does not conflict with the Services’ core values and standards. Soldiers who are AWOL are urged to contact their units and to make arrangements to return to military service of their own accord.
“Advice is available from the Services Confidential Support Line – 0800 731 4880. Safeguards have been put in place to ensure those arrested are treated in a sensitive manner. There are many reasons why service personnel go absent and all absentees are afforded Army welfare and duty of care provisions upon return.”
Birmingham Mail
October 09, 2008
BNP wined and dined...by Army
Posted by
Antifascist
1 Comment (s)
Army chiefs provoked fury last night after they invited a senior BNP politician to a swish do at a school.
The far-right party’s Cllr Cathy Duffy was among local politicians asked to attend a drinks and buffet reception at the Ministry of Defence’s sixth form college. Two more officials from the racist British National Party joined Duffy at the Welbeck College event, hosted by the Army Presentation Team.
Enjoying free food and drink paid for by the taxpayer, the three extremists spent the evening mingling with military personnel. The invite to the VIP event in Loughborough, Leicestershire, came from Army chief Brigadier J E Richardson, Commander of 49 (East) Brigade.
Cllr Duffy posted a long blog about the night on her website. It read: “I was delighted to have been formally invited to attend a reception and briefing at Welbeck. The evening started with a drinks reception and concluded with a finger buffet and an opportunity to chat to military personnel.”
The blunder comes at a time when the armed forces are spending tens of thousands of pounds on recruiting more people from ethnic minorities.
Anti-racism campaigners attacked the move. Matthew Collins, of Searchlight, said: “The only war the BNP want is a race war. It’s like inviting the Nazis to dinner with Winston Churchill.”
Would-be Army, Navy or RAF officers study for A-levels at Welbeck before going on to full-time military training.
The Army last night said MoD rules mean it could not discriminate between political parties and had to invite all local councillors. And the event was held during school holidays, so no students were there.
A spokesman said: “The armed forces operate a policy of zero tolerance to all forms of discrimination.”
The Sun
The far-right party’s Cllr Cathy Duffy was among local politicians asked to attend a drinks and buffet reception at the Ministry of Defence’s sixth form college. Two more officials from the racist British National Party joined Duffy at the Welbeck College event, hosted by the Army Presentation Team.
Enjoying free food and drink paid for by the taxpayer, the three extremists spent the evening mingling with military personnel. The invite to the VIP event in Loughborough, Leicestershire, came from Army chief Brigadier J E Richardson, Commander of 49 (East) Brigade.
Cllr Duffy posted a long blog about the night on her website. It read: “I was delighted to have been formally invited to attend a reception and briefing at Welbeck. The evening started with a drinks reception and concluded with a finger buffet and an opportunity to chat to military personnel.”
The blunder comes at a time when the armed forces are spending tens of thousands of pounds on recruiting more people from ethnic minorities.
Anti-racism campaigners attacked the move. Matthew Collins, of Searchlight, said: “The only war the BNP want is a race war. It’s like inviting the Nazis to dinner with Winston Churchill.”
Would-be Army, Navy or RAF officers study for A-levels at Welbeck before going on to full-time military training.
The Army last night said MoD rules mean it could not discriminate between political parties and had to invite all local councillors. And the event was held during school holidays, so no students were there.
A spokesman said: “The armed forces operate a policy of zero tolerance to all forms of discrimination.”
The Sun
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)









