A BNP thug who ran for council has been given a year's community service for assaulting two female pacifist campaigners.
David Clarke, who got 518 votes when he stood in Heathfield for this year's local elections, was sentenced on four counts of assaulting anti-racism campaigners. Clarke, of Dunley Drive, New Addington, pushed and shoved Lorna Nelson-Homian, James Cox, Nigel Green and Silvia Beckett in two separate attacks last May outside East Croydon train station.
Croydon Magistrates' Court handed the 41-year-old a 12-month community order last week and ordered him to pay costs of £650. Clarke denied attacking the Hope Not Hate campaigners but was found guilty on April 30.
Giving evidence in relation to the first incident on May 27, campaigner Nigel Green said: "I saw him [Clarke] walking towards me. He was walking right towards me and I could see there would be problems. I decided to stop and put the leaflets behind my back. But he gestured for me to give him a leaflet and he basically snatched them out of my hand. They were thrown down on the street and that was quite a shock to me. Then he sort of pushed me and grabbed my arm and twirled me around. I was very shaken because I had done nothing to provoke him."
Prosecutor Daniel Irving told the court how after the first assault Clarke left, only to return to repeatedly shove Ms Beckett to get to Mr Green. The court heard Clarke almost knocked the woman off her feet.
Mr Irving told the court that when Clarke spotted other Hope Not Hate campaigners two days later he screamed at them: "F****** scumbags, filth on our streets, taking all our jobs."
Then Clarke again snatched leaflets, threw them on the floor and shoved Ms Nelson-Homian and Mr Cox.
This is Croydon Today
Showing posts with label Croydon. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Croydon. Show all posts
May 26, 2010
BNP man sentenced after shoving two women at East Croydon station
Posted by
Antifascist
5
Comment (s)
April 30, 2010
BNP candidate spat at, pushed and screamed at anti-racist campaigners
Posted by
Antifascist
5
Comment (s)
A BNP thug – and potential councillor – has been convicted of assaulting two female pacifist protesters just days before the local elections.David Clarke, who hopes to win a seat in the Heathfield ward, was also found guilty at Croydon Magistrates' Court of two other attacks on anti-racism campaigners. Clarke pushed, shoved and spat at Lorna Nelson-Homian, James Cox, Nigel Green and Silvia Beckett in two separate attacks last May outside East Croydon train station.
Giving evidence on Wednesday in relation to the first incident on May 27, Hope Not Hate campaigner Nigel Green said: "I saw him [Clarke] walking towards me. He was walking right towards me and I could see there would be problems. I decided to stop and put the leaflets behind my back. But he gestured for me to give him a leaflet and he basically snatched them out of my hand. They were thrown down on the street and that was quite a shock to me. Then he sort of pushed me and grabbed my arm and twirled me around. I was very shaken because I had done nothing to provoke him."
Prosecutor Daniel Irving told the court how after the first assault Clarke left only to return to repeatedly shove Ms Beckett to get to Mr Green. The court heard Clarke almost knocked the woman off her feet. Mr Irving told the court that when Clarke spotted other Hope Not Hate campaigners two days later he screamed at them: "F****** scumbags, filth on our streets, taking all our jobs."
Then Clarke again snatched leaflets, threw them on the floor and shoved Ms Nelson-Homian and Mr Cox.
Chloe-Jane Belton, defending, told the court it was the victims who assaulted the BNP council candidate and spat at him. But magistrates rejected this version of events and chair of the bench Mike Watkinson ordered reports to be prepared before his sentencing on May 17. Clarke – who was flanked by eight British National Party members in the courtroom – nodded his head in disgust as the verdict was read out.
Speaking after the verdict, Ms Nelson-Homian said: "This has gone to show that their veil of credibility has come down. The BNP always resort to their thuggish violent roots."
Speaking to the Advertiser, Clarke confirmed he would still be standing at the elections next Thursday.
Croydon Today
April 28, 2010
Croydon BNP election candidate guilty of attacking four anti-fascist protesters
Posted by
Antifascist
5
Comment (s)
A British National Party election candidate for Croydon Council has been found guilty of attacking four anti-fascist protestersDavid Clarke [pictured, left, grinning on his way into court] of Dunley Drive, New Addington, was found guilty of four counts of assaulting protesters outside of East Croydon station on May 27 and May 29 last year. Mr Clarke is currently running for election as a councillor for Heathfield Ward.
Croydon Magistrates Court heard the first incident occurred at 6.50pm on May 27 as anti-fascist protesters were handing out leaflets in an attempt to try and dissuade people from supporting the BNP at the station. Two days later on May 29 he is accused of assaulting another two protesters, James Cox and his partner, Lorna Nelson-Homian.
Clarke will be sentenced on May 18.
Lorna Nelson-Homian, one of Clarke's four victims, said: "I think the verdict today shows that the BNP's veil of credibility has once again fallen down. BNP policies are racist, and this case shows they always resort back to their violent roots."
Croydon Guardian
April 23, 2010
BNP council candidate denies assault charges
Posted by
Antifascist
1 Comment (s)
A BNP council candidate is due to appear in court days before the May 6 local elections charged with attacking two women at East Croydon train station.
Dave Clarke, who hopes to win a seat in the Heathfield ward, is accused of punching and shoving the two women, who were anti-fascist protesters, after spotting them handing out anti-BNP leaflets. The 41-year-old is also charged with another two counts of assault in relation to the alleged scuffle.
Clarke, of Dunley Drive, New Addington, has pleaded not guilty to the charges, which relate to the alleged incident on May 27 last year. He will face trial just eight days before the local elections.
Clarke is one of 13 candidates the party is putting forward in the local elections for Croydon and Sutton.
Clarke's agent Charlotte Lewis told the Advertiser he had pushed leaflets out of the protesters' hands but maintains he did not hit anyone. She said: "Dave completely denies these allegations and, although as a party we have little confidence in the British justice system, he did not assault these people. These types of people [the alleged victims] are against the BNP. Dave just introduced himself to them and did throw their leaflets into the street but if anything they pushed him. He is adamant that he had nothing to do with this. The Crown Prosecution Service is politically motivated and I am sure if it was the other way round there would not be a prosecution."
Prospective parliamentary candidate for Wallington and Carshalton at the general election, Miss Lewis hit the headlines two weeks ago when pictures of her dressed in a burkha and fishneck stockings clutching an alcopop emerged. She explained that Clarke's reluctance to speak to the Advertiser directly was because of his "shy and retiring nature".
Clarke, whose brother John is also running as a council candidate in Fieldway, denied four counts of assault by beating when he appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court on April 7. He will face trial next Wednesday.
Croydon Advertiser
Dave Clarke, who hopes to win a seat in the Heathfield ward, is accused of punching and shoving the two women, who were anti-fascist protesters, after spotting them handing out anti-BNP leaflets. The 41-year-old is also charged with another two counts of assault in relation to the alleged scuffle.
Clarke, of Dunley Drive, New Addington, has pleaded not guilty to the charges, which relate to the alleged incident on May 27 last year. He will face trial just eight days before the local elections.
Clarke is one of 13 candidates the party is putting forward in the local elections for Croydon and Sutton.
Clarke's agent Charlotte Lewis told the Advertiser he had pushed leaflets out of the protesters' hands but maintains he did not hit anyone. She said: "Dave completely denies these allegations and, although as a party we have little confidence in the British justice system, he did not assault these people. These types of people [the alleged victims] are against the BNP. Dave just introduced himself to them and did throw their leaflets into the street but if anything they pushed him. He is adamant that he had nothing to do with this. The Crown Prosecution Service is politically motivated and I am sure if it was the other way round there would not be a prosecution."
Prospective parliamentary candidate for Wallington and Carshalton at the general election, Miss Lewis hit the headlines two weeks ago when pictures of her dressed in a burkha and fishneck stockings clutching an alcopop emerged. She explained that Clarke's reluctance to speak to the Advertiser directly was because of his "shy and retiring nature".
Clarke, whose brother John is also running as a council candidate in Fieldway, denied four counts of assault by beating when he appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court on April 7. He will face trial next Wednesday.
Croydon Advertiser
July 09, 2009
Croydon BNP candidate leaves offensive messages on web
Posted by
Anonymous
0
Comment (s)
A British National Party candidate who claims she is not racist left discriminatory comments on a social networking site, the Croydon Guardian can reveal.
Charlotte Lewis, who stood as a BNP candidate in the recent Waddon byelection, left the disasteful comments on stories relating to ethnic minorities. On the website Digg.com Miss Lewis wrote “Bloody Pakis” beneath a story entitled New shock figures reveal how UK student visa scheme is abuse.
On another story headlined Schoolboy’s killers facing life she wrote, “No surprise that they’re black........”
Her actions were condemned by Croydon Council’s Labour leader Tony Newman who said: “With general and local elections looming we are starting to see the real face of the BNP and the nasty individuals involved with them. I hope people think long and hard before they consider putting a cross against their name.”
People’s Party candidate Mark Samuel, who stood against Miss Lewis, said: “The party is banging a drum but are beating themselves to death with it. I don’t care what a person’s past is but if they are standing they have to be able to represent everyone not just their own views. I find the BNP to be offensive and I don’t like the way they treat other people.”
Miss Lewis, who served a prison sentence after sending death threats to a drugs company involved in animal testing, defended her comments. Miss Lewis said: “I am not a racist, I am a racial survivalist and anyone who calls me a racist is a genocideist (sic). I think you have your priorities all wrong.”
Croydon Guardian
Charlotte Lewis, who stood as a BNP candidate in the recent Waddon byelection, left the disasteful comments on stories relating to ethnic minorities. On the website Digg.com Miss Lewis wrote “Bloody Pakis” beneath a story entitled New shock figures reveal how UK student visa scheme is abuse.
On another story headlined Schoolboy’s killers facing life she wrote, “No surprise that they’re black........”
Her actions were condemned by Croydon Council’s Labour leader Tony Newman who said: “With general and local elections looming we are starting to see the real face of the BNP and the nasty individuals involved with them. I hope people think long and hard before they consider putting a cross against their name.”
People’s Party candidate Mark Samuel, who stood against Miss Lewis, said: “The party is banging a drum but are beating themselves to death with it. I don’t care what a person’s past is but if they are standing they have to be able to represent everyone not just their own views. I find the BNP to be offensive and I don’t like the way they treat other people.”
Miss Lewis, who served a prison sentence after sending death threats to a drugs company involved in animal testing, defended her comments. Miss Lewis said: “I am not a racist, I am a racial survivalist and anyone who calls me a racist is a genocideist (sic). I think you have your priorities all wrong.”
Croydon Guardian
June 26, 2009
Croydon Council looks to take action over BNP member's sick boast
Posted by
Anonymous
11
Comment (s)
Croydon Council is looking to see whether it can take a BNP member to court after she boasted about mounting a hate campaign against a family of immigrants living in the flat above her.
Charlotte Lewis, who earlier this year stood as a candidate in the Waddon by-election, told a meeting of British National Party members she played loud music late into the night - which may have contributed to the Afghan family moving out. The comments were made at a meeting in east London to celebrate the party's showing in the recent European elections.
Addressing party members at a pub in Dagenham, she said: "I don't think they could take any more of my penchant for playing heavy metal at 1am."
When the Advertiser asked the 36-year-old, who lives in Bensham Lane, Thornton Heath, to explain the comments, Ms Lewis said she had "embellished" the story for the sake of her audience. But she added: "I'm of the opinion that none of them should be in this country anyway. It would be in the best interests of this country if they moved back to Afghanistan. If British people were to move in upstairs I would keep the noise down."
Asked if she had made any efforts to get to know her neighbours, Ms Lewis added: "That would be hypocritical, and I'm not hypocritical. What on earth would we speak about, even if they could speak English? They're immigrants in my country and I'm a member of the BNP."
Croydon North MP Malcolm Wicks - a patron of the West Croydon Refugee Centre - said he was appalled at her remarks. He said: "If she admits that she made the comments, it's a really extraordinary thing. It's clearly anti-social behaviour and the idea that someone could be considered for elected public service after admitting this kind of anti-social behaviour is bizarre. It shows the good sense of the people of Waddon for not voting for her."
Councillor Alison Butler, who represents the Bensham Manor ward where Ms Lewis lives, was equally disgusted by her bragging. She said: "I'm going to see if there's any action we (Croydon Council) can take. I'm just horrified at her despicable remarks, I just wish we'd heard about it sooner."
Gavin Barwell, the council's cabinet member for safety and cohesion, has asked officers to investigate what steps they can take against her under anti-social behaviour laws. He said: "I share Councillor Butler's concerns and will be looking into it. I view it very seriously, and I'm taking advice from officers about whether there is any legal action we can take."
This is Croydon
Charlotte Lewis, who earlier this year stood as a candidate in the Waddon by-election, told a meeting of British National Party members she played loud music late into the night - which may have contributed to the Afghan family moving out. The comments were made at a meeting in east London to celebrate the party's showing in the recent European elections.
Addressing party members at a pub in Dagenham, she said: "I don't think they could take any more of my penchant for playing heavy metal at 1am."
When the Advertiser asked the 36-year-old, who lives in Bensham Lane, Thornton Heath, to explain the comments, Ms Lewis said she had "embellished" the story for the sake of her audience. But she added: "I'm of the opinion that none of them should be in this country anyway. It would be in the best interests of this country if they moved back to Afghanistan. If British people were to move in upstairs I would keep the noise down."
Asked if she had made any efforts to get to know her neighbours, Ms Lewis added: "That would be hypocritical, and I'm not hypocritical. What on earth would we speak about, even if they could speak English? They're immigrants in my country and I'm a member of the BNP."
Croydon North MP Malcolm Wicks - a patron of the West Croydon Refugee Centre - said he was appalled at her remarks. He said: "If she admits that she made the comments, it's a really extraordinary thing. It's clearly anti-social behaviour and the idea that someone could be considered for elected public service after admitting this kind of anti-social behaviour is bizarre. It shows the good sense of the people of Waddon for not voting for her."
Councillor Alison Butler, who represents the Bensham Manor ward where Ms Lewis lives, was equally disgusted by her bragging. She said: "I'm going to see if there's any action we (Croydon Council) can take. I'm just horrified at her despicable remarks, I just wish we'd heard about it sooner."
Gavin Barwell, the council's cabinet member for safety and cohesion, has asked officers to investigate what steps they can take against her under anti-social behaviour laws. He said: "I share Councillor Butler's concerns and will be looking into it. I view it very seriously, and I'm taking advice from officers about whether there is any legal action we can take."
This is Croydon
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)