August 14, 2011

Wellington: More than 40 arrested in protests

More than 40 people were arrested as rival groups clashed in a Shropshire town where a march was banned by the home secretary on Saturday.

Up to 350 members of the English Defence League and 250 opposition protesters gathered in Wellington. People at both rallies began to disperse after speeches were made but there were "pockets of disorder" afterwards, West Mercia Police said. Ten people were charged, the rest were cautioned or bailed.

Chief Inspector Keith Gee said the arrests were mainly for public order offences. Three police officers were assaulted but none were seriously hurt. He said there had been "few problems during the build up to and during the assemblies and there have been no reports of damage to property or serious injuries."

The leader of Telford and Wrekin Council, Kuldip Sahota, praised the "fantastic effort by council officers, West Mercia Police and the whole community of Wellington."

He said Wellington could now return to normal and community could go about its business peacefully again.

"Our street cleaning team was out immediately after the demonstrations were over and the crowds dispersed and very soon after that were were able to re-open the road that had been closed." he said.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again, the EDL will escape justice.

Whereas, someone apolitical in Salford has been jailed for stealing a bottle of water during the recent riots, thugs like Stephen Yaxley Lennon can physically assault a serving policeman and fuckin' well get away with it.