January 01, 2008

The curious case of Councillor Chris

Critics are calling for the resignation of Tamworth councillor Chris Cooke – who despite holding the Glascote seat as an independent, recently issued a leaflet supporting a BNP candidate in a by-election.

Cooke has been interesting anti-fascist researchers for some time after posting right wing comments on local newspaper websites.

He also has a link to the BNP on his website, arguing that the party is the victim of “smears, lies and disinformation.”

During a by-election in the in Castle Ward in November, Cooke then leapt to the defence of the far-right party’s candidate Lynne Smith, who had been targeted by the Unite Against Fascism pressure group.

UAF were encouraging people to turn out and vote to defeat the BNP – a campaign that was ultimately successful as the party trailed in third (with Labour snatching the seat from the Tories by just six votes).

In the run up to voting, Cooke – who had no direct interest in the election - took exception to what he regarded as interference by outsiders. So, in support of Lynne Smith, he distributed a defence of the BNP to 1,000 homes and attempted to rubbish the UAF.

That’s provoked a lively correspondence in the Tamworth Herald, with the Conservative Andrew James calling on Cooke to resign and stand under his “true colours”.

Cooke admits, “I did help the BNP's Lynne Smith in her recent by-election campaign. I know Lynne as a long standing and respected Tamworth resident.

“Three years or more ago I thought much the same as anybody else about the BNP - nasty, racist, fascist thugs.

“Therefore it was a shock to me to find a couple of people I respected as sincere and intellectual telling me that they were BNP members.”

But he insists that he won’t resign and stand for them in a by-election, insisting that after spells in the SDP and UKIP, he has “had enough” of political parties.

(To see more about the debate check out Chris Cooke’s website here).

The Stirrer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine Cooke is not ashamed to reveal himself as a bnp sympathiser, but, rather, as a nutjob griffinite.

Anyone who comes out as a fan of a thieving liar, has the political credibility of a donut.

Anonymous said...

Very curious to see that Councillor Chris is a regular poster on Eie.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the best way to deal with this "character" by unseating him when he's next due for election?

I would love to be the main challenger's agent highlighting his bizarre background and beliefs all wrapped up in that convenient description "Independent" !

Anonymous said...

ive had a look on this site "the stirrer" and woe and behold the bufoon from handsworth sharon ebanks seems to be spending most on her retirement on there.

Anonymous said...

Thought there was a lot of you guys coming over onto my website today. Do you know how flattering that is to have you lot so interested in me?

Anyway - 'webeatthebnp' said it best - deal with me when I'm next up for election. But you should know what you are dealing with. I suggest you scan around the rest of my website (www.chris-cooke.co.uk). Maybe then you'll see (a) Why I'm an Independent - no party could hold with my brand of Independence - make too many waves & (b) Why you can't beat me - because I think like ordinary people - because I've been through the same mill.

Unless of course I don't stand again. I'll have done 8 years on Tamworth Council by then - and 27 years in active campaigning politics - and that's enough for anyone! I deserve a retirement (but - note - I did speak out against giving Councillors pensions and pay offs when they lose or retire their seats!!)

ps - regards to Ms Garside. Tell her she needs to whip up a few more to damn me on the Stirrer. So far it's mostly in my favour! Where they bother to even express an opinion that is.

BTW - see you at a BNP by election some time. Don't forget your tiny cameras. You see I'm so contrary that when you try to push me off I do the opposite - and democracy could do with a bit of help against the tricks you guys pull. I see one of your Lib Dem Councillor helpers got well and truly caught out the other day - illegally delivering your anti-BNP leaflets. Tut, tut -you really must be more careful!!

In fact if anybody really wants to find out more about me, my philosophy and my past - you know tactical knowledge which you might hope to whip me with - just call me. You'll find me very open.