February 20, 2011

EDL chief’s bank accounts frozen in cash inquiry

The bank accounts of the English Defence League’s leader have been frozen as part of a money laundering investigation.

EDL chief Tommy Robinson, 28, said he was last year arrested for ‘financial irregularities’ and was issued with a Luton Crown Court order on August 11 preventing him from making any withdrawals from or charging any purchases to his accounts.

In a YouTube video Mr Robinson, who has just moved home to an unknown location from Lower Stondon, said he is entitled to take out £250 each week to cover living expenses while the investigation is ongoing. But other than that he cannot touch the money, the amount of which is unknown, although Mr Robinson, who led the 1,500- strong EDL rally in Luton town centre on February 5, said the figure is £6,000.

He said in the online video: “The £250 comes out of my own bank account which has my money in it anyway. I have had to stop working because if I do work, and say I earn £600, next week it goes into a frozen account and I am allowed £250. My solicitor has told me these orders are called disruption tactics in order to disrupt my life, disrupt everything I am doing and pretty much stop what we are saying, put pressure on me – and of course it has put pressure on me.

“This doesn’t cover my living costs. It prohibits me from dealing with any finances at all and that’s all in order to stop the EDL and our goals and what we are doing. They have given me this because between the years 2007 and 2009 I had more money going through my bank accounts than I paid tax on. Whoopy doo. It wasn’t all my money anyway. I bought a couple of properties and I have got partners that I am 50 per cent with. This will all come out if they decide to charge me.

“They haven’t charged me so they slapped this restraining order on me. I’ve been on it for six months. My bail date was February. My solicitor said they would probably bail me for another six months and I’ve been bailed until July again. They are just keeping my money frozen for 24 months. I’ve only got that £6,000 in my account and that’s going to run out soon. I can’t work because I can’t take any credit card payments at my tanning shop and the business is struggling.”

A police spokeswoman said: “A person has been arrested in connection with money laundering but as the investigation is still ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further.

By Sophie Scott of Luton on Sunday

18 comments:

Alfie North said...

What is it exactly you are doing Mr Yaxley
-Lennon, apart from coming out with divisive, exaggerated, shrill rhetoric and making a pile of dosh from selling cheap tat?

Antifascist said...

Money-laundering, huh? Who'da thunk it?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, how sad. Poor old Tommy.


LOL

Anonymous said...

Well, the money-grubbing little snide.

Anonymous said...

well,well what a surprise,extreme right winger making money out of gullible members. mmmmm we've never heard that before ,have we?

Anonymous said...

"I bought a couple of properties" Ah, man of the people, voice of the downtrodden, ignored and destitute white working class bought a couple of properties, did he? Just to show he's one of them and nothing more. Stick him in a cell with Eric Illsley.

Barbara said...

No wonder criminal opportunists are drawn to the far right - it's easy pickin's.

sammo said...

Why does Yaxley-Lennon sound so like his far right idol Nick "The Cyclops" Griffin?

Is it par for the course for fascist leaders to engage in financial irregularities?"

Jose said...

Wasn't it former EDL member Jon Snowy Shaw who lifted the lid on Lennon's corrupt shafting of the EDL's gullible members?

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the leader of the BNP.

Birds of a feather... lol

Ex BNP said...

This happens a lot in nationalist political organisations than you could possibly imagine.

NewsHound said...

BONKERS MOORE RANTS ON... :-

http://1millionunited.org/blogs/blog/2011/02/20/bonkers-moore-rants-on-and-on-in-edljtf-row/

(A MUST FOR THE BLOG, KETLAN!)

SDG said...

Hopefully this theiving griffo-like scumbag is also nicking from edl funder alan lake so he cannot fund his concetration camp masterplan for british muslims.

If lake is ever interviewed by paxman, he needs to stop being such a fuckin' laxman, and ask him about his pure evil nazi ghetto masterplan he posted on his 4freedoms hate blog.

Anonymous said...

Casuals United promote nazi hate music.

NewsHound said...

BREAKING NEWS: EDL MARCH IN SUPPORT OF THE BNP IN BARNSLEY: -

http://uaf.org.uk/2011/02/barnsley-antifascists-march-as-edls-links-to-bnp-exposed/

(BNP=EDL=BNP)

Anonymous said...

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/threads/343926-EDL-disrupt-anti-BNP-march-in-Barnsley

NewsHound said...

MORE ON EDL/BNP LINK-UP IN BARNSLEY: -

http://exposingon.tumblr.com/post/3401770155/english-defence-league-sport-are-bnp-in-barnsley

Anonymous said...

"I have had to stop working because if I do work, and say I earn £600, next week it goes into a frozen account and I am allowed £250"...erm, does any one else understand why he's "had to stop working" because I don't get it?

Is it because he forgot to declare his income from Special Branch?

And if that's the case, does this mean that he's not grassing anymore?