July 18, 2009

March against Red, White and Blue festival could involve more than 1,000

Anti-BNP groups expect more than 1,000 people from across the country to take part in a rally and march against the party's Red, White and Blue festival.

The event is due to be held on fields off Codnor-Denby Lane, Denby, for the third consecutive year, on the weekend of August 14, 15 and 16. Word of the protest plans came as the home of Alan Warner – owner of the fields where the festival is held – was daubed with graffiti.

Last year, more than 400 anti-BNP protesters took part in a peaceful rally and protest march, organised in Codnor. But, away from the march, 36 anti-BNP campaigners were arrested outside the festival site after clashes with police.

The Trade Union Congress, Unite Against Fascism, Stop the BNP and Amber Valley Campaign Against Racism and Fascism have now said they will be marching again this year, on Saturday, August 15. Last year, the march went from Codnor Market Place and down Heanor Road to its junction with Codnor-Denby Lane where it was stopped by a police cordon. About 30 protesters were then allowed to go and demonstrate in a designated area near the site's entrance.

This year's route has yet to be confirmed, as negotiations with police are not yet complete. But the groups said they wanted to get as close to the festival site as possible.

Alan Weaver, the TUC's policy and campaigns officer in the East Midlands, said: "We'd like the people in the festival to know they are not welcome in Derbyshire and we reject their politics. It's always difficult to predict how many will come. But I would think between 1,000 and 2,000. Up to 50 coaches would come from as far south as Brighton and as far north as Scotland."

One of the shopkeepers on the route said he would prefer it if the march did not happen. Bill Holmes, owner of Codnor Pet and Aquatics, Market Place, said that during last year's protests, people tore down flags, including the Union Jack, which were on display outside his shop. He said: "I'll stay open. I won't shut for anyone – particularly them. They are a nuisance."

Mr Warner said protesters had already made their mark on his home by painting the words "Dead Nazi" on one of his walls and locking his farm gates shut. The incident happened during the night. Mr Warner was awoken by the driver of a delivery lorry which could not get on to his land. Police said they were investigating the vandalism and that they were also speaking to the protesters about the march route.

Activists are due to meet for a protest and mass picket in Codnor Market Place from 9am on August 15. A rally will be held from 11am followed by the march at noon.

This is Derbyshire

Stop the BNP’s Red White and Blue Festival


homo said...

Smash the Fash!!

Anonymous said...

fucking homo wankers couldnt smash yourselves, i'll put a petrol bomb on ketlan that no more than 200 of you dozy gayboys get there , then again i mite put it on him if only one of u turn up !

Anonymous said...

"Smash the Fash!!"

It's all very well saying that now but if as many people showed as much committment during the european elections the BNP may not have MEPs now. Gesture politics will never be a substitute for the more mundane everyday campaigns.

Anonymous said...

Smash the Fash! Don't get arrested though!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear ! Is Barnes ashamws to use his moniker these days.

Old Sailor

wotawanker said...

Funny how that neo-nazi BNP troll continues to make death threats against the administrator of this website Ketlan, and continues to infuse racism and homophobia.

More than likely, the author of this death threat promising death via petrol bombs is a loser unsure about his own sexuality, is a virgin with a small penis who tosses off to his framed bedside picture of adolf hitler.

Just like Mark Collett!!!

Anonymous said...

Whats that shop keeper moaning about? obviousley a fash sympathiser. the people of codnor should be warned about flying union jacks and making themselves a target.