September 13, 2011

Hungry for justice - EDL leader released

THE leader of the English Defence League, Stephen Lennon, has been released from Bedford Prison on bail until his trial for assault at the end of this month.

Mr Lennon, who calls himself Tommy Robinson, was held in custody at Bedford Prison for a week after breaking bail conditions by attending a demonstration in London.

The EDL said their leader was on hunger strike while in prison, because he was a ‘political prisoner’ and because he believed the food served was halal.

While at Bedford Prison he is understood to have been kept in segregation both for his own safety and over concerns about disruption at the prison.

A source said: “There was a big concern because he is so high profile, so they kept him away from the other prisoners. He was classed as a vulnerable inmate.

“It is a diverse prison and they were worried what might happen. There are also a lot of people from Luton in there as it’s the nearest prison and there were concerns there might be a riot.”

The source said Mr Lennon was held in an underground cell where he was allowed a television, and that his exercise was taken in a yard boarded off so he could not be seen by other inmates.

They added: “His hunger strike only lasted 24 hours and then he gave up.”

But Mr Lennon said yesterday morning (Tuesday September 13) that he had not consumed anything other than water while in custody.

He said: “I had a Nando’s last night when I came out and I was up all night ill – I thought I was going to have to go to hospital. I lost a stone while I was in there.”

Mr Lennon denies assaulting a man at an EDL protest in Blackburn in April, and said he was looking forward to the trial at Preston Magistrates Court on September 29.

“I will go to court and I will walk out of court,” he said. “The man who I’m supposed to have assaulted has come forward and said it wasn’t me.

“I’m going to keep on breaking these bail conditions – they just want to stop my involvement with the EDL. I’m not allowed to send emails, faxes, texts. That’s against my human rights and civil liberties.

“I will say what I want, when I want.”

Luton Today

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

They added: “His hunger strike only lasted 24 hours and then he gave up.”

So fooking obvious - no way was he going to 'fast' for 7 days.... it was all a PR stunt...

Anonymous said...

“His hunger strike only lasted 24 hours and then he gave up.”

Useless bastard.

Anonymous said...

He must be the last person on the planet who isn't aware that Nando's is Halal.

John P said...

Anonymous said...

He must be the last person on the planet who isn't aware that Nando's is Halal.

7:08 PM, September 13, 2011

I'm not sure if all Nando's are Halal but the Luton one certainly is.
http://rateyournandos.com/halal.aspx

Anonymous said...

To top it all.. Nandos is not even British... it's an African import.... dont you just love the hypocrisy of the so called nationalists ? What was wrong with dining at the local chippy... aint that the nationalist thing to do ?

Anonymous said...

The so called brave nationalist that crows on and on about halal food being evil / barbaric and champions boycotts of places that sell halal food....... still chose to eat at a place which has a policy that serves Halal food in over 20% (and growing) of it's outlets. Very principled of Mr Harris. ... yeah right !!... More like sheer hypocrisy À la "Do as I say, Not as I do !"

Anonymous said...

Right. So if he follows through on his threat to keep breaking his bail conditions (as I'm sure he will) and they bang him up again, they'll all know he's bullshitting with the talk of hunger strikes. Let's see what pathetic leverage tactics he tries to pull then.

Anonymous said...

Nando's is South African/Portuguese. Those traditional bastions of racial harmony, eh?