July 01, 2008

BNP councillor set to stand against council

A BNP councillor will stand against a policy to promote equality within Markyate Parish Council at a council meeting tonight.

Simon Deacon, BNP councillor and former leading National Front activist, called the Equal Opportunities Policy a waste of time and vowed not to support it.

Speaking before the meeting he said: "I'm totally against it. Why do we have to have all this bureaucracy? "People come here with work permits and they are supposed to be put on an equal footing. Therefore somebody goes for a job and those other people who have been here for a matter of months can apply for the same job - that is what the Equal Opportunities Policy is all about. It is unfair.

"I have gone against things before with the council - that is democracy, that is politics. "I have to do what I think is right. I am sorry if that offends others but I have to go with my gut instinct and go with what I believe in, otherwise I'm a hypocrite."

But campaigners argue Deacon should resign from the council if he does not agree with the policy. Jon Berry, of Three Counties Unite Against Facism, said: "He purports to be a representative of the community and it is absolutely clear that he regards some members of the community more important than others."

This is Hertfordshire

No comments: