July 11, 2008

Cllr stands down from 'undemocratic' BNP

A British National Party councillor in West Yorkshire has quit the party after failing to oust party leader Nick Griffin.

Councillor Colin Auty, who has represented Dewsbury East on Kirklees Council since 2006, says he will continue as an independent councillor for another month and then give up the seat. Coun Auty, who quit the far-right party yesterday, said he had become disillusioned with the BNP during his failed leadership bid. He describes himself as a "moderate" and said the party machine had rallied against him.

"One official described me as a joke candidate. It might sound funny coming from a BNP, but I believe in democracy. The process was certainly not democratic."

In the past he has criticised the party's image, saying voters were turned off when they saw Griffin's bodyguards wearing "shades and leather gloves".

Coun Auty failed to get the 100 signatures he needed to mount a challenge to Griffin. His decision to resign his seat, which will prompt a by-election, also stemmed from the way people in Kirklees have treated him.

"I can't get involved in projects because of my BNP badge. I get shot down by the establishment. I have met some nice people but they can't afford to be seen standing by my side."

He added that his wife had had a "rough time" for being married to a BNP councillor.

"It's not nice to live in fear. My wife is fed up with it."

He said he may consider standing as an independent candidate in the near future.

Yorkshire Post

No comments: