April 30, 2010

BNP leader unable to tell if caller is British

British National Party leader Nick Griffin today said he was unable to tell if a caller to a radio phone-in was British as he couldn't see what he looked like. He told the Nottingham man – who said three of his grandparents were born outside Britain – that he could class himself as "civically British" but not "indigenous British".

His remarks came as he took calls from listeners on BBC Radio 4's The World at One. During the phone-in, caller Sean Fowlston asked: "Would you be good enough to tell me whether I am British or not, given that three of my grandparents were foreign-born?"

Mr Griffin said: "It doesn't matter where on earth they come from, obviously I can't you see you down the radio."

He then added: "You're British."

But pressed why it would make a difference what colour the man was, Mr Griffin went on: "It would make a difference in particular, if he was what the BBC would call white, then I would assume from his name he was Irish, and I am part-Irish as well. We regard the Irish as completely part of Britain."

Asked why he would need to see him to know whether he was British or not, Mr Griffin said: "Because if I could see him I could tell whether his three ancestors were Irish or not."

During the phone-in Mr Griffin was asked if the Royal Family were "indigenous" British as their ancestors originally came from Germany in the 18th century. Mr Griffin said: "Erm, well that was part of the Royal Family. They are a fairly old mixed-up bunch of Europeans, but they are fully integrated. Once you reach a stage where you simply can't tell, when the whole community regards someone as being part of the indigenous, that is when they are indigenous. That is the case in the Amazon jungle, why is it different here?"

This is Nottingham

4 comments:

iliacus said...

"If I could see him I could tell whether his three ancestors were Irish or not"

Run that one past me again Nick please ....

I'm one-quarter Irish (in that one of my grandparents was born in Co. Cork). But however long I stare at myself in a full-length mirror I cannot for the life of me spot the bit that shows that granny was "Irish or not".

He really is a clown isn't he?

Kev Scott loves The Jam said...

PMSL..........
asked if the Royal Family were "indigenous" British as their ancestors originally came from Germany in the 18th century.

Mr Griffin said: "Erm, well that was part of the Royal Family. They are a fairly old mixed-up bunch of Europeans.....

What is he going on about...... there should be more of this as you will get a different answer every time.

as above..... 'clown'...... fat piggy clown.

irishtony said...

I suspect the only part of Dick Griffin that is Irish is his glass eye. Its the only part of him that shows any compassion!!

Anonymous said...

"Griffin: We regard the Irish as completely part of Britain."

Is this the same Griffin who would attend National Front counter-demos in the 1980's directed at pro-Republican 'Bloody Sunday' marches?

I remember NF supporters shouting anti-Irish slogans and holding up hand-made signs stating, "Paddy, Go Home" and I observed Griffin joining in and encouraging them.